Saturday, May 17, 2008

How often in life does things turn out the way you plan?

There is this saying that 'having no plan is a plan to fail'. Well I'm one who has always planned: But how do you handle it when things don't go the way you planned? This is a life lesson that I am gradually learning.

I graduated last June with my master's degree from a U.S. top ten school (#3), and I just knew that my struggles were over. Since I had been in school every year of my life consecutively since I was 5 years old, the plan was to take a 6 month sabbatical from everything (i.e. school and work) to rest, relax, and spend some quality time with my son, who had also made many sacrifices as I pursued both my bachelor's and master's degree. I enjoyed some wonderful experiences over that summer too: I traveled, did some public speaking, partied...everything I had to defer doing as a "disciplined" student.

However, being the work-a-holic that I am, I thought it would be best if I cut my 6 month sabbatical in half and return to work in September. I knew that I would be working at a social research agency of a major university. But guess what? Things didn't work out as I planned. Initially, I didn't trip. I knew that any employer would be fortunate to have me as an employee. I knew it wouldn't be long before I had the perfect job offer, where I would be commanding my minimum salary requirement at the least, especially since I perceived the courtship I received from employers prior to graduation as an indication of this.

But another month went by and I hadn't come across that job I planned for; then another month, and another month, until 3 months later, we arrive at the month of December. Again, another employer sought me out, and I went for the interview under the impression that I was interviewing for a program manager position, and it turned out that I was interviewing for a director position. I reviewed the job description, and knew that I could excellently perform every task that was detailed in that document. I was offered the job on the spot, and I was ecstatic. It had taken longer than I expected, but it appeared that my plan was beginning to be manifested the way I had hoped. Now I could go get the place that would be nothing like any other place I'd had before, I would go and get my new car...I would be calling the shots! But again, things didn't go the way I planned, and the executive director of this organization cowardly reneged on the position by mail.

Now what to do? I hadn't planned to fail, yet my plans were failing: Or so it seemed....

To be continued.............

I'd love to hear your feedback: Don't hesitate to comment to this blog entry!

Sincerely,

Lillian S. Harris

"I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it." ~Maya Angelou

No comments: